Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Father's Hand


The Lord brought me through a recent bout with cancer, so as a cancer survivor, the following means so much more to me now than it did when I wrote it many years ago. Oh, by the way, the photo is of my friend who also looked into cancer's ugly face. We are both praising God for his Amazing Grace.

My walk with God is like hiking a mountain trail. When my Father first suggests we climb to the crest together, I am like a child... running ahead... anxious for the adventure... impatient to see the beauty from the top.

The slope is gradual at first, and I enjoy my surroundings...taking time to pick the wildflowers...studying the sunbeams dancing through the trees...laughing as butterflies chase each other.

My father, happy to share in my joy, reminds me He has even greater things for me ahead.

So... we travel on... together.

After a few bends in the trail, the path begins to narrow and grow steep. Soon I become tired and stop to catch my breath. Father offers His big hand to help me, but I wish to make it on my own.

The woods have grown dense now....sunlight can't break through. Wildflowers along my way go unnoticed. Rocks grow out of the ground and cause me to stumble.

The higher we go, the steeper the climb. Tree roots stretch their fingers across my path...they seem to grab out at my feet as I pass. The obstacles are getting too great.

I stumble and fall again and again. Bruised and exhausted, I can't go on any longer.

My Father say, "Come child, we're almost there."

With arm outstretched I finally cry, "Then please Daddy...hold my hand"

Psalm 118:5,6 In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and rescued me. The Lord is for me, so I will not be afraid.

2 comments:

Sharon Goemaere said...

Suzanne,
Awesome post.Loved it.Often the path gets steeper in our lives(like with cancer).May we always hold His hand even when we"think"we can handle the path ourselves.God bless you.
Sharon

I-am-me said...

Loved this post. So heartfelt and touching.