Thursday, January 21, 2010

Relationship on the Highwire


I'm not an authority on the bird world. Actually I can't speak with authority on anything, but that subject will be tackled another day. So, read this posting as "thoughts from a bird brain."

Here in Phoenix, we're recovering from quite a severe rain storm. I often wonder where the birds hide to survive during the winds that force the rain to fly in a horizontal pattern.

The day after the storm hit, while the sky was still a slate gray dotted with menacing clouds, I spotted many birds lined up on the electrical wires like notes on a music staff. It's not an unusual sight during the winter. Why, I wonder, do they take roost out in the open when they could be comfortably hidden in the dense natal plum bushes that line the base of our house. Possibly the wires are warm and it's a substitute for socks on their feet? Afterall, if your feet are warm, your body feels warmer.

Another thing I've noticed is how they usually group together. Sometimes twenty or thirty in a row...evenly spaced I might add. Yet, they seem to be only a wings-width apart; just close enough to have physical contact with a fellow bird. Perhaps they experience a sense of security with the others in close proximity.

I may never know the answers to these silly musings, but it gives my bird brain exercise.

P.S. Look closely at the picture (taken from National Geographic). Even in Birdworld, you'll find a comedian in the crowd!

Luke 12:6,7 What's the price of five sparrows? A couple of pennies? Not much more than that. Yet God does not forget a single one of them. And he knows the number of hairs on your head! Never fear, you are far more valuable to him than a whole flock of sparrows.

No comments: